Frequently Asked QuestionsHow does Soil2O® work?
's composition consists of a set of polymer chains that are parallel to each other, and structurally linked by cross-linking agents. This combination of polymers and cross-linking agents creates a network.
When water comes in contact with one of these chains, it is drawn into the molecule through osmosis. The water rapidly moves into the interior of the polymer network where it is stored. When the soil begins to dry out, the polymer slowly releases the stored water. Up to 95 percent of the accumulated water is released back into the soil.
Dust Control FAQ
What is Soil2O® Dust Control?
Soil2O® is an environmentally friendly cross-linked co-polymer. Soil2O® particles hold up to four hundred times their weight in water. Soil2O® is specially formulated with a natural re-wetting ability that continues to function even after dry-out. Using Soil2O® doesn't mean you never have to water, but it does mean you can water less often.
- The product is an environmentally friendly, non-toxic, non-corrosive co-polymer to be mixed with water.
- The process is a weekly application of Soil2O® Dust Control material/water solution to area where particulate matter requires arrest, with re-hydration of water-only as necessary between treatment applications.
How is Soil2O® Dust Control applied?
Soil2O® is easily mixed into water tankers with the patent pending Soil2O® Eductor System. We have pre-packaged the product in 15 lb. pails for ease of use. Each pail will mix with 2,000 gallons of water.
- Soil2O® Dust Control is easily educted into any water application vehicle of any size. Whether it is as small as a 50-gallon ATV or as large as a20,000+ -gallon water tanker. It is also possible to apply the product without a vehicle.
How effective is Soil2O® Dust Control?
- Soil2O® Dust Control material and methods will effectively mitigate fugitive dust, which chlorides, oils or lignin treatments alone cannot do.
- Soil2O® Dust Control will anchor road dust 'fines' in place to alleviate or minimize potholes, washboarding, etc.
How much Soil2O® Dust Control do I need?
How long will a Soil2O® Dust Control application remain effective?
- Soil2O® Dust Control must be re-applied weekly, and will remain effective as long as sufficient hydration exists. 'Sufficient hydration' is approx. 50% of water-only applications. Polymer hydration also comes from naturally-occuring moisture sources such as precipitation, dew, humidity, etc.
Does Soil2O® Dust Control conform to Best Management Practices, Best Conservation Practices, etc.?
- Yes, but requirements, rules and regulations vary by town, county, region, state, etc. so check conformance policies with your governing body. We will be glad to assist, where possible.
How does Soil2O® help with fertilizers?
Fertilizers work well until an abundance of water causes them to disintegrate or leach out of the soil and lose their effectiveness. When Soil2O® absorbs water, it enables the fertilizer to remain in the soil for a longer period of time. This ongoing release of nutrients and water nourishes the plant for a significantly longer time and produces healthier growth.
How does Soil2O® help in large-scale agriculture and nurseries?
The importance of Soil2O®in agriculture and in commercial nurseries cannot be overestimated. Hundreds of thousands of acres are used in farming, commercial gardens and nurseries, Soil2O® offers a way to conserve on water consumption and significantly reduce the labor and cost of irrigation.
When Soil2O® is used in planting, it promotes good aeration of the soil. The storage and subsequent release of rainwater and irrigation water then provides the seeds with ongoing nourishment and allows them to germinate into stronger, more viable plants. Agricultural businesses can use less water to produce an abundant yield and avoid the loss of plants that die from insufficient water and nutrients.
The same holds true for those in arboriculture and large areas of turf growth, like sod farms and golf courses. With Soil2O®added to the soil of newly planted trees, bushes and saplings, the plants have a greater chance for root development and are less likely to suffer transplanting shock. In large areas of turf and sod, Soil2O® can be applied topically or mixed into the soil before the seedlings are planted or sod laid. Soil2O® gives growth a strong start with better seed germination and faster root development.What about home lawns and gardens?
For new lawns and gardens, Soil2
Granular should be mixed into the soil by broadcasting or applying with a fertilizer spreader, then mixing it into the soil. For existing lawns, Soil2
Home Lawn Care Kit should be used.
When planting trees or shrubs, dig the hole for the new plant, mix Soil2O® into the evacuated soil, saving a small amount of untreated soil. Then place the rootball into the hole and fill the hole around the rootball with the Soil2O® and soil combination. Top off with the untreated soil.
Is Soil2O® safe for the environment?
With no harsh chemicals or toxic additives, Soil2O® will, over time, break down and remain harmlessly into the soil. One of the advantages of Soil2O® Granular is that it remains effective for three to five years, gradually breaking down into the soil at a rate dependant upon climatic conditions and the size of the particles of Soil2O®.