Home Defense Unit
Environmentally Friendly Home Wildfire Protection
Shop our Home Defense Unit products
Protecting your home or any other structure (concrete, stucco, wood, etc.) from an approaching wildfire has never been easier. Simply coat with FireIce using one of our HDU Wands and a pressure washer before evacuating.
- Gel will adhere to any medium and safeguard your structure for up to 24 hours.
- Can also be applied to your surrounding landscaping and trees, as it is eco-friendly and nontoxic
- Safe for use around children and pets.
Removing the gel is simple, just rinse it off with a garden hose.
Save by purchasing the HDU Wand and buckets of FireIce as a combo:
To learn even more about the FireIce Home Defense Unit, watch the following short video:
FireIce HDU Brochure
FireIce HDU FAQ
1. What is the FireIce® Home Defense Unit™(HDU)?
During times of crisis, fire departments cannot offer protection for every homeowner as resources become extremely limited.The FireIce® Home Defense Unit™ turns an ordinary pressure cleaner into a powerful weapon for homeowners to apply a protective coating to their home and property in front of an advancing wildfire.
2. How Does the FireIce® HDU work?
Our patent pending FireIce® HDU™ was engineered with the homeowner in mind for ease of use and portability, adapting to most standard pressure cleaners. The FireIce® HDU™ coupled with the power of FireIce® will help protect your home from a fire! The Patent Pending Eductor System produces an in-line mixture of water and FireIce® for quick application.
3. Is the FireIce® HDU easy to operate?
Yes. It is as simple as following the written and video instructions carefully.
4. What is the FireIce® HDU meant to protect?
The FireIce® HDU™ has been designed to protect structures on your property and your surrounding trees and landscape.
5. Can the FireIce® HDU be used to fight a fire?
The FireIce® HDU™ was NOT designed to suppress or extinguish a fire. Fire and firefighting is inherently dangerous! This activity could result in serious burn injuries or death. Only professionally trained personnel should attempt to extinguish a fire.
6. How much time should I allow for the application process?
The process of preparing your home with the FireIce® HDU™ may take several hours. This is dependent upon the size of the home and the materials used to construct your home. Once your home is in an evacuation zone, then the time is NOW to prepare your home and property with the FireIce® HDU™, then evacuate the area immediately. If your family has been issued mandatory evacuation orders or your home is in imminent fire danger the window of opportunity has passed to prepare your home and you must evacuate immediately.
7. How Much FireIce® do I need to protect my home (coverage area)?
Included with the FireIce® HDU™ are two buckets of FireIce®. Each bucket will provide 1,250 sq. ft of wall or roof coverage. Additional buckets of FireIce® may be purchased as needed to account for architectural design, building materials, etc.
8. How thick should the FireIce® gel be applied to the home?
Please reference the FireIce® Instructional Video for visual recommended coverage guidelines.
9. How long can I expect the FireIce® gel to last?
Depending on the current weather conditions in your area such as wind, relative humidity, sun exposure, etc., your FireIce® treated home will offer you several hours of protection. It is imperative to follow the instructions carefully when using the FireIce® HDU™.
10. How much reach do I have with the FireIce® HDU™?
The FireIce® HDU™ has an operating distance of 20 to 25 feet.
11. How do I protect my home if it is multiple stories?
FireIce® is very slippery and the FireIce® HDU™ should allow an operating distance of 20 to 25 feet. Always apply reasonable thinking when using the FireIce® HDU™. We do not recommend operating the HDU™ from a ladder or standing on the roof.
12. Will the FireIce® gel stain or damage my home?
No. FireIce® is a clear gel. It easily rinses off your home and it will not leave any residue.
13. Will FireIce® gel harm my landscape (tress, grass, foliage)?
FireIce® is environmentally friendly and nontoxic.
14. Does FireIce® have a shelf life?
FireIce® in its dry powder state has a shelf life in excess of 15 years.
15. After the fire, how do I clean up my home and property?
Once the fire danger has passed and you are clear to re-enter the evacuation zone simply rinse the protective coating from your home, trees, or plants with fresh water. No harsh chemicals are required for clean-up. FireIce® will not deteriorate, stain, or fade any surface of your home where it was applied. FireIce® is environmentally safe and has been tested to the US Forest Service Specification 5100-306A for toxicity.
16. Is there anything I can do to better protect my home against Wildland fires?
The first thing is to get a FireIce® HDU™… Complete a pre-fire plan and survey of your home and maintain defensible space inside and outside your home. If you don’t know what to do or how to do it, then contact your local Fire Department, Fire Safe Council, or contact us here at FireIce®. We may not have all the answers, but we can put you in contact with the appropriate agency that can help. Homes that are destroyed in the Wildland Urban Interface do so because the homeowner has not prepared their home in case of a fire threat. Fire Departments survey homes as a fire approaches and categorize a home’s survivability in this manner.
17. Will a home survive with or without fire protection efforts?
If you do not prepare your home and property well in advance of a fire then the fire department will not defend your home!! BE PREPARED! Statistics show that your home still stands a great chance of being destroyed by fire if you wait until the last minute to protect it. Firefighters struggle with their emotions every time the determination is made not to defend a home from a fire. Many considerations come into play, such as:
- Do we have enough access to get fire trucks in and out of the property?
- Do we have all the proper equipment with us?
- Do we have enough water?
- Do we have enough manpower?
18. How many people are required to use the HDU?
Two. One to operate the eductor into the bucket of FireIce while another person applies the gel with the wand.
Some useful resources for homeowners in the Wildland Urban Interface are:
FireIce® is a dry powder that when added to water produces a water-enhancing gel, stopping fire in its tracks. FireIce® is safe for your home, easy to use, and environmentally friendly.